What is Medicare?
Medicare is the federal health insurance program for people who are 65 or older, certain younger people with disabilities, and people with End-Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a transplant, sometimes called ESRD)
Medicare has four parts
- Part A - Hospital Insurance
- Covers inpatient hospital stays or care in a skilled nursing facility (following a hospital stay) as well as some home health care and hospice care.
- Part B - Medicare Insurance
- Covers certain doctors' services, outpatient care, supplies and preventive services that may not be covered by hospital insurance.
- Part C - Medicare Advantage Plans
- A healthcare plan provided through a private company that includes Part's A and B and in many cases includes prescription drug coverage. Allows people to choose to receive all of their healthcare services through the provider organization.
- Part D - Prescription drug coverage
- Adds prescription drug coverage to original Medicare and helps pay for medications that doctors prescribe for treatment.
When should I enroll?
Individuals can sign up for Medicare up to three months before turning 65 and then three months after. If you fail to sign up during the initial window when turning 65, you can sign up between January 1 and March 31 each year. If you have a disability, you can enroll 3 months before and up to 3 months after the 25th month of getting disability benefits.
Hartig Drug can help
Do you have questions on what coverage is best for you? Are you unsure if you or a loved one is eligible for Medicare? Stop by any Hartig Drug Pharmacy, our team is ready to help you understand the different plans that are available for you and your loved ones. You must first enroll to receive benefits from these plans which are offered by private insurance companies, most of which are accepted at Hartig Drug.